Skip to main content

LEAVE YOUR PAST! Tuesday 24 July


Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye

Memorise: Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, Philippians 3:13

Read: Psalms 37:23-25

When God uses one of His servants to bless you, you can appreciate that servant of God but appreciate God much more. Why? God is the Source of blessing while His servant is only a vessel. Never turn a vessel into your source. If you do, both you and the vessel may get into trouble with God. It was in light of this knowledge that Elisha, despite his devotion to Elijah did not forget the God of Elijah. He called for the God of Elijah and not for Elijah or his anointing at the River Jordan (2 Kings 2:13-14). Elisha faced a new reality after the departure of Elijah. It was a new phase for him. You need to walk in the understanding that life is in phases. When one phase ends, another begins. Psalms 37:25 says:

I have been young, and am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

According to this scripture, there is the phase of being a youth and another phase of being old. A new phase had just begun in the life of Elisha. The phase of Elisha the servant, who went everywhere with his master had just ended and another phase of Elisha the national prophet with several attendants has just begun. When the time for his next phase came, he refused to continue in the old phase.

You must be ready to move forward. Stop living in the past. In 1 Samuel 25:1, after mourning the death of Samuel, David continued with his journey. Life continues irrespective of the challenges of each day, and so must you. Paul had to adopt a strategy of forgetting his past so that he could face his future (Philippians 3:12-14). Some people have lost their future to their past because somehow, they were never able to put the past behind them. Have you lost someone you love so much? Move on from that spot! Have you lost someone who promised to help sponsor your education or help set you up in business? Move on from that spot and another helper will surface. You could also receive direct help from above. Never allow past failures hinder your future success. Also, never allow past victories and successes hinder future ones. Stop dwelling in your past! As long as you remain at that bus stop of life, no new thing will come to you. Move forward! Take a step into your future today!

KEY POINT:
If you don’t leave your past, it will continue to hunt you. 

Bible in one year: John 18-21

Comments

  1. Glory be to you oh God for with your help I left my sinful past behind & I'm now a new being in Christ Jesus our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can someone please tell me the difference between;
    1. Forgeting the past
    2. Restituting the past
    3. Facing the truth about the past and dealing with it.

    What are the definite actions we have to carry out to forget the past? Some mystical societies give their members some mantras to chant and meta-physical exercises to perform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord you are my present help in time of trouble pls help me e stop dwelling on my past and move on into d glorious future u have 4 me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Father I thank you for your word and am grateful for the wisdom you grant unto me to understand,everything in life I have pass through,all to glorify your name and to exalt your name for now I realize you are God,I confess all my sin,have mercy  me and foprgive me,make me brand new in christ,behold all old things are passed away and all things become new,Glory be to your name father,God of Elijahm.Grant unto me a new beginning in every area of my life,grant unto me new grace,favour,breakthrough,victory and salvation..it is written the righteous will never be forsaken neither your seed will beg for bread..fulfill me,appoint me..grant unto me wisdom so I can be able to operate under your divine favour IJN. (Amen)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you lord for the gift of life and also for the understanding of your word

    ReplyDelete
  6. Father,I thank you 4 your word to me dis morning.
    God help me 2 forget all my past and have mercy over my life.Move me forward and grant me Good success in my journey of life IJN.Amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lord give me the enabling grace to forget my past and focus on you. Give me your power and inspirations.IJN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord help me to forget the past to be able key into greater plans you have for me in life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Lord for your revelation in your word. I pray that the grace to always put my past behind me will come upon my life from this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you lord for the gift of understanding which has made me realise that I don't have to dwell in my past anymore. Bestow onto me Your abundant grace to help me walk into the future which you have prepared for me and to possess all my possessions. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lord plz help me 2 leave my past full of sins i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Jesus name, Amen

    ReplyDelete
  12. God I give praise to you for keeping me safe till today, I thank you for the gift of life and I pray that give praise to let me put my past behind me and let me continue to be able to do your will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lord help me to stop dwelling on my past, especially when I think it may be the cause of some delay I'm facing now. I believe u've forgiven me because I'm now living in You. Help me to move forward and let Your will be done in my life, family and situation. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thank God for the gift of life and for preserving and providing for my family. I most importantly appreciate God for engaging the drive gear over my life and preventing me from getting stuck. We glorify God's mighty Name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. God pls help not to dwell on my past anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank u Lord for all that you have done for me and my family,each time i remembered my past He always gives me a new song to sing"halleluyah"you are 4ever my God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BENEFITS OF UNITY Sunday 27 November

Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye MEMORIZE: “Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matt. 18:19) READ: Acts 2:1-4 U nity is a powerful force in the universe. However, uniting against God, His Word or His children causes God to arise in defence of His Name. This is the other side of power of unity. Barring this, unity can accomplish almost anything on the face of the earth. In Genesis 11:5-6, God said that if the people of the earth were left with one language and as united as they were in building the city and tower, they will be unstoppable. The united are unstoppable. Unity is a powerful tool for achieving plans and purposes. But if operated in righteousness within the Christian fold, it is even more powerful. “Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it sha

Unauthorized sharing of Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye

This is to inform all the readers that Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye will not be available again till further notice. I must go through a legal process before I can be sharing the devotional online. What I have been doing all the while is not legal so I need to seek proper authorization. Please, bear with me. Thank you for your cooperation.

YOUR VOICE SHALL BE HEARD Wednesday 26 October

Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye MEMORIZE: “As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me: the strangers shall submit themselves unto me.” (Psalm 18:44). READ: Psalm 18:43-45 W hen Bartimaeus was steps away from his breakthrough, the crowd around him shouted him down. But by the grace of God, he doubled his efforts and cried out the more. He simply told the crowd: ‘If you think you have heard noise you have not heard anything yet’. The reality is that if you need help and send a faint cry in the midst of a crowd, they will want to shut you up. But if your cry is unparalleled, defying the voices of the opposition, there would be a general consensus by the crowd for you to be attended to, at least so that they can have their peace. This season, by the mercy of God, there will be a meeting of the crowd hindering your blessing and their consensus would be that you receive immediate attention. Another lesson from this story is that while peop