Skip to main content

FORGIVENESS NOT NEGOTIABLE Thursday 24 May


Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye

Memorise: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Hebrews 12:15

Read: Matthew 6:12-15

It is difficult to avoid friction in any society. An African proverb says: The one who says, don’t touch me, will not go to the market, and the one who says, Don’t spill water on me, will not go to fetch water from the local river. As long as you interact with people, misunderstanding is bound to come. No reasonable person will be angry without a cause. It is friction that generates hurt, pain, bitterness and un-forgiveness. When the one you trust disappoints you, it hurts. When people speak evil or lie against you, you will feel pain. As long as you live in a community, somebody must step on your toes. The truth is, offences must come but the problem here is how do you handle them when they occur? For instance, if you are upset by somebody and you allow bitter thoughts, anger, or un-forgiveness, it will affect your heart. If you don’t handle such negative feelings properly, they will affect your relationship with God to an extent that God will no more answer your prayers.

If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me: Psalms 66:18

But you may ask: Why will God not answer my prayers when I was the one offended? It’s because God is keenly interested in your relationship with your fellow man hence He says in Hebrew 12:14:

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Jesus further says that if you refuse to forgive your fellow man, your Father in Heaven will also retain your sins against you from that moment. As seen in the memory verse, if you allow bitterness inside you, it will not only trouble you, it will also defile you. In addition, in Matthew 5:23-24, Jesus says if there is a problem in your relationship with your brother, whatever you offer to God will be rejected except you first reconcile with the fellow. You forgive your offenders not because you like to but because you have to; not for their sake but for your sake; not necessarily for their good but for your own good; not because you desire it but because God commands it and obeying God in that aspect will be counted to you as an act of righteousness.

ACTION POINT:
Take some time and list all the people who have offended you. Go to meet them one by one and say to them: Brother, what you did to me really hurt me. I didn’t want to forgive you, but because I love myself so much, I have no choice but to forgive and release you.
 
Bible in one year: Romans 5-8

Comments

  1. I forgive all my offenders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgiveness NOT negotiable, let it be your lifestyle. Take some time and list all the people who have offended you. Go to meet them one by one and say to them: Brother, what you did to me really hurt me. I didn’t want to forgive you, but because I love myself so much, I have no choice but to forgive and release you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HMmmmmmm,it is well.........Good word to start a day.All I need is GRACE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgive my offenders not because I desire it, but because God commands it. Who can love me d way God does? He keeps loving me despite my faults and inadequacies. Even when I go wrong, He keeps looking out for me. He never gives up on me. If I always keep this in mind, I wl forgive easily. When I forgive, I believe He wl make everything work for my good, just like He did for Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awotinde Oluwaseye B.May 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

      Yea I rily luv dat was touched by ur words 2uu I ve wronged God so many tyms bt he hasn't luked upon my faults. Infact He tries 2 bring mii back each tym ow much a fellow man who has wronged mii nd ve equally wronged. Bt luk @ God he hasn't wronged mii,I wronged him yet he didn't not allow his hands of blessings 2 pass over mii. ooooh 10k u Lord I ll try my best 2 4gif by ur grace.

      Delete
  5. For if u forgive men when they sin against u, ur heavenly father will also forgive u. But if u do not, ur father will not forgive ur sins

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgive all that have sin against me and cause me pain one way or the other. My good God help me to keep this deeply inside of me

    ReplyDelete
  7. May God giv me a @ of forgiveness to forgiv those who hav offended me

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Adediran, Please act and don't just post it as a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lord i 4give those who have offended me i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ one way or τ̲̅ђe other, help me Lord IJN

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beutiful piece to start d day. May God let dis words dwell in me and help me to be a doer of His word and not just a hearer or a commentator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God this is painful,help me to forgive all those have wronged me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Father My Father, help me 2 4give does dat av wrong me n give me d Grace nt 2 take offence 2 wateva any1 will do 2 me in oda 2 keep n obey ur commandment n 2 enjoy Your DIVINE LOVE 4 ME.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Through this word, God helped me be reconcilled to my mother in law yesterday. TO God be the glory! JM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BENEFITS OF UNITY Sunday 27 November

Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye MEMORIZE: “Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matt. 18:19) READ: Acts 2:1-4 U nity is a powerful force in the universe. However, uniting against God, His Word or His children causes God to arise in defence of His Name. This is the other side of power of unity. Barring this, unity can accomplish almost anything on the face of the earth. In Genesis 11:5-6, God said that if the people of the earth were left with one language and as united as they were in building the city and tower, they will be unstoppable. The united are unstoppable. Unity is a powerful tool for achieving plans and purposes. But if operated in righteousness within the Christian fold, it is even more powerful. “Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it sha

Unauthorized sharing of Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye

This is to inform all the readers that Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye will not be available again till further notice. I must go through a legal process before I can be sharing the devotional online. What I have been doing all the while is not legal so I need to seek proper authorization. Please, bear with me. Thank you for your cooperation.

YOUR VOICE SHALL BE HEARD Wednesday 26 October

Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye MEMORIZE: “As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me: the strangers shall submit themselves unto me.” (Psalm 18:44). READ: Psalm 18:43-45 W hen Bartimaeus was steps away from his breakthrough, the crowd around him shouted him down. But by the grace of God, he doubled his efforts and cried out the more. He simply told the crowd: ‘If you think you have heard noise you have not heard anything yet’. The reality is that if you need help and send a faint cry in the midst of a crowd, they will want to shut you up. But if your cry is unparalleled, defying the voices of the opposition, there would be a general consensus by the crowd for you to be attended to, at least so that they can have their peace. This season, by the mercy of God, there will be a meeting of the crowd hindering your blessing and their consensus would be that you receive immediate attention. Another lesson from this story is that while peop